Friday, December 29, 2017

Eateries and Drinkeries VI

 It is perhaps a shame that my taste in food is fine and nice, but it is still not at the level when it starts becoming connoisseur-like. I mean this would perhaps made me eliminate lots of names in this list, but to be honest, none of the places that I remember to mention here are bad. Some are outright excellent, others are pretty decent for the price you pay.  Today, I have a biggish list with me, and will try to go through those.

 First pizza places; pizza continues to be my lieblingsessen!

Masaniello:   Located in Hasenheide, a few steps away from Hermannplatz this place has some of the very good pizza that I have ever eaten in Berlin. The interior is very cool and cozy, to the extent of being quite warm even in winter (well, we were having a tropical winter till November, when I was there!). In any case, do go there, it is among the top pizza places in Berlin. I have heard from friends that the quality is going down, but I can't imagine how it must have been in the yesteryears if a month before it tasted so super!

Standard-Serious Pizza: Right from the name you have it, -- it is about serious food. No jokes here. The first time I was there was on a date, and the pizza must have been super-nice, because the conversation had flowed easily and the date was quite a success. But, jokes aside, it really is a nice place, I've been back there with friends and have yet to say bad things about the place.

Tin Tan: This is a place of Mexican street food, and yeah, this is one of those places that completely stand out. Located in the Chauseestrasse, it is still in the Mitte, and it is a smallish place, liable to get filled quite easily. And the service is slow, but that's because they are making the food super good to eat. Don't miss this, whatever be the reason.

Agni: Germans particularly are crazy about Indian food, which is not a surprise when you see the number of Indian restaurants around. Amrit is one of those chains, but Agni is another. They have one in Moabit, and another now in Prenzlauer Berg. Both I think are quite nice, even though some friends I know decare this to be the best Indian restaurant around. It is admittedly pretty good. In the Moabit branch, they would prepare the food from scratch (well, not absolutely from scratch, but you know!), and it takes some time to come. Personally, I have now been to both of them, and I think that the food indeed is quite good. Although the Kashmiri naan that I had (which should have been coated by some cheese and then raisins) was not terribly good. But everything else was.

Corroboree: An Australian restaurant located in Potsdamer Platz. I was there only once though, but only for a drink. So, I cannot really comment on the quality of food, but at least it was quite full, and had Kangaroo burgers. The interior has a very nice atmosphere. 

Lemongrass: No doubts about this, if you do not come here, you've missed something. I have actually lost count of the number of times I have been to this super nice and cozy restaurant. This has a small cozy interior, with Thai specialities, and never ceases to disappoint. Food is very reasonably priced, too!

Chapa: Another Thai place, at Kotti this time, is also pretty nice and not too expensive. Also try not to miss this one. It's location makes it rather busy and popular.

Maroush: A small cozy Lebanese place, serving a lot of falafels, my visit there wasn't really at the best of times, but I might be easily persuaded to go back there again. It's tiny, serving more as a takeaway place rather than sit-in place, but the quality that you get for the extraordinarily cheap prices is rather surprising. Don't miss this one.

Goura Pakora: Back in F'shain, this place used to serve a lot of vegetarian food, including pakodas and dosas, which are of pretty good quality when open. But, it seems like they are closed now. Hope they open soon, and when they do, don't miss it. 

Gorgonzola Club: A rather funny name for an Italian restaurant, but it is indeed quite good. Quite good I would say, I don't remember anything extraordinary with the food (maybe I had a pizza?), but there are some uncommon menus there. And again, it's kinda popular, located in the Dresdener Str., away from busy main streets of Kottbusser Tor.

Turnhalle:  Close to Ostkreuz, this is an old gym which has been turned into a restaurant. This has pictures of a number of famous people from Einstein to Helmut Kohl and others. And there is a huge nice chandelier. As the name suggests, this is an old gym which has been turned into a restaurant. You can view the inside by the side. The food is cheap and decent. I had good flammkuchens here.

Mi Amor: It is a steakhouse, but I did not have a steak here. I had turkey here, with pepper sauce, and potato fries. Again, this is a quite decent place, but the steaks should be tried.

Amrit: Together with its partners, this is probably the biggest Indian restaurant chain in Berlin. They already have six restaurants in the key places that restaurants should be. Again, nothing very special, but very good food in general. Try it (or them).

Zsa Zsa Burger: I was here in the summer, and the burgers here were really super nice. They always have a special size, and look very polished and were super tasty. Try not to miss this one, it is a gem. And for what's it worth, its located in Schoeneberg, in the Isherwood era of Berlin.

Kimchi Princess: I was here a couple of times. They are always very busy, so please do reserve in advance. The food is quite good, and I have always enjoyed the Bibimaps (that's what I remember having, it is soo long ago).

 It is a bit scary, I had only wanted to write about ten restaurants+bars in all, but only with the restaurants, the number is already crossed! Maybe it is time to start counting the bars. I will start with four absolutely local ones, which are in themselves quite nice and delightful.

Dregendorff: Located on Petersburger Strasse, just at Bersarinplatz, this bar often shows the football matches, the Bundesliga and other stuff. Nothing super special, but the beers are nice and the interiors are cozy.

Trautes Heim: Funny as it seems, I couldn't find an online entry for this  bar. It is located on the other side of Petersburger Strasse as the Dregendorff, and much closer to the U-Bhf Frankfurter Strasse. In recent times, they have reinvented themselves with a new decor which is positively nice and eye-catching. They were closed for a while in between because of some accident, or something, there used to be a memorial at the door, and flowers could be seen. 

Adgedreht: This name serves as both a club and a pub, physically they are a  bit separated, but essentially side by side. I have only been in the pub. The pub is incredibly cozy, and it has quite some variety of beers to surprise you.

CoffeinCentrale: A nice coffeeshop on the Mainzer Strasse, which specializes in the new wave of coffee that's sweeping Berlin off its feet. As with most other coffee shops, a nice place to talk over coffee, and the coffee tastes pretty good here.

Palasteria Galao: The website should be working, but it doesn't. This is in Weinbergsweg, close to Rosenthaler Platz, it specializes in a whole of drinks and snaks, all aimed towards the healthy sides of life. By this alcohol automatically gets ruled out, and coffees, and flavored teas and lassis rule galore! Healthy muesli, croissants can also be seen in plenty!


Apotheke bar: A relatively new player in Mariannenplatz in Kreuzberg, it has a stylish decor. The first time I was there, it was a  bit early, and the inside was much too empty. And I had a simple beer. The second time I went there was after being turned down at the Schwarze Traube (about which I will only write if I manage to get in). I had a rather expensive cocktail which had to do with a lot of mangoes and a whole lot of chillies, not at all sweet, but you know, that is life. So, do try it out, or you will be in the miss list!


ORA: The address is Oranienplatz 14, and I have linked here another blog which gives a more intensive insight into the cafe. Although I had a relatively simple beer here, the inside of this bar is super cool, and chic to be more accurate. Many of the spirits and ingredients for making cocktails are in jars, reminiscent of an old Apotheke, and it was way too full. It wasn't easy to get a place to sit.

Romeo and romeo cafe: A rather revealing name for a cafe, understandably located in the Schoneberg neighbourhood, is frequented by a lot of gay clientele. They have quite a few snacks and coffee on offer, and if I understand correctly, a refill on a coffee is free, or at least much too cheap. They have WiFi so that you can continue to work (or flirt -- online or offline) uninterrupted.

the Club : A delightful bar/cafe located in Hermannstrasse in Neukoelln. The place is a bit special in several ways. The first of all it is bang on Hermannstrasse which makes it a bit revealing. But in spite of this, the inside is neither too shabby nor too polished, and very comfortable. They have several events going on depending on the night, and a rather large dance floor where they have Waltz Thursdays! What a surprise, getting to waltz in a techno city!

Neue Nachbarschaft : Well, this is my first in Moabit, a place which I have never before explored, really. As it turns out, this is a nice bar, which is frequented by a lot of students from the TU (and also the FU). On the friday I went they had a smallish concert by Syrian refugees, which was pretty quaint for me (Germans/Europeans enjoyed it a lot too, by the looks of it!). The bar was overfull for this event, which made even standing not trivial. They have nice bar, and also a small nice dancefloor in the cellar, where they were playing more pop music for a change! Go there, highly recommended!
  
HERMAN Belgian Bar: A gem in Prenzlauer Berg which you cannot simply miss. One of the best places to enjoy high quality beer in Berlin, made by the Belgians. After seeing the menu list, you just have to open your mouths wide, as you realize which country really has a choice in variety of beers. I was taken there by my date (yes, after a pizza at the Standard, in case you have been following my personal life), and the nice beer, aided by the dimly lit cozy interiors only helped in the conversation. It's a super place, and I have been there several times later.

No comments: