Saturday, September 21, 2013

Goodbyes

Goodbyes are not really my cup of tea; which isn't saying anything much because so many people have the same feeling. This week a very good colleague, a very valuable friend, and his family, who moved out of Switzerland into Holland -- (and thankfully), for a permanent job. All the universality associated with saying goodbyes to people who are close to me, swept over me again.

Goodbyes to my school, to my college, to the Calcutta I knew, to TIFR, and smaller, more personal, sometimes more deeper ones scattered on the way in time. Of course, there was during August a much more deeper goodbye said, to a feeling -- an invisible one, a one that is really complex. But, I digress: what is the use of trying to describe a goodbye to something which I will never be able to describe.

Goodbyes, perhaps, shouldn't be said, at least to good things. But then there you are, powerless against forces greater than you are, which orchestrate things that you don't want, that force you to say goodbyes to things that you didn't want to.

Goodbyes can sometimes be so sour, either because the new Hello is sour or simply you were too attached to the past to say the new Hello properly. In anticipation, some people just hide the goodbye with an occupation. Like I did a couple of times. In August. In 2011 when I left Mumbai.

Goodbye, I wonder how it will be when I have to leave Bern ...

Goodbye for now!

No comments: