Monday, February 25, 2013

More trysts with Visas

The last time I wrote such a blog was when I was applying for the Schengen visa to Italy. It was 2010 and I was aiming to attend the Lattice 2010 conference in Sardinia.
It is 2013 now, and I am trying to fly to the US, to visit MIT and Duke. I live in Switzerland now. You'd have thought (or rather no: maybe you're smarter, and I am still dumb; so let's say, I'd have thought) that things would be much easier. The official wait times for processing the US visa from the Embassy at Bern at time of the year is 3-days. In the website, in the FAQ section they say that at peak periods it is about ~2 weeks.
I had my visa interview at the Embassy on the 31st Jan. The US consular officer who took my interview was quite optimistic that I would get the visa in 2-3 weeks time. This is my second visit to the US. (Never mind that last time I got issued a one-year visa, which expired at the beginning of this month, forcing me to apply once again. In the meantime the visa fees went up from CHF 125 to CHF 160).
It is the fourth week now, and I am anxiously counting my days. I am supposed to fly at the beginning of next week, and if things don't work out, I stand to lose hundreds of dollars (or even thousand the whole transatlantic flight has to be cancelled as well). Not to mention a most wonderful academic and research opportunity.
All the same, it seems that there is nothing I can do. Calls do not reveal any information, their emails replies are most unhelpful, ending in wishing me to have a lovely day, when in reality, I'm biting my nails off my fingers. Out of sheer desperation I am writing this blog. To have my feelings written down somewhere so that I can recall them later.

2 comments:

Debasish Banerjee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Debasish Banerjee said...

The Visa issue was finally solved, almost miraculously. I called the visa office on Friday 1st March at around 3:30, and the lady on the phone after fiddling with her system for some time told me that my visa has been granted, and if I could come at 4, they would print and give me the visa.
What annoyed me of course was that they did not take the trouble of informing me, even though the visa had been granted on 28th Feb. If I had called a bit late, or if I had not lived in Bern, then?

Regarding more visa issues, I know of a Swiss colleague, employed in India in HRI. Since his visa expired, he was forced to come back to Switzerland to make a reapplication in the Indian embassy in Switzerland, and then after keeping him waiting for several months, they refuse him the visa! And this too, days later of issuing a valid visa to him. How much more deranged can people in these administrative positions get?