Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Miss Marple

What have I been doing all these time? Besides working, that is. Why reading Miss Marple. Why her all of a sudden? Don't exactly know. But the settings, the plots and the characters suddenly seemed so nice and appealing, that I couldn't resist for long. And of course there was the fact that at some point of time, I was really bored with my work, my surroundings and my circumstances.
Anyway, sometime into this period I decided that I will read up all the Miss Marple that Christie ever wrote and that's what I have been doing, sometimes recklessly neglecting my work. Very foolhardy, I suppose.
I have finished most of the books--the only ones that are left are: A Caribbean Mystery, At Bertram's hotel and the Sleeping Murders. The question that naturally rises are which books I have liked and why? So, one of the issues that I realized is that Christie has reused several of her plots from time to time: many of the plots that she has toyed with in the "The Tuesday Murder club" has been reused in her later novels. Nonetheless, I must say that the books that I found to be pure genius are : The Murder at the VicarageThe Moving Finger and A Murder is Announced. The plot is considerably more intricate in the first and the last ones than the middle, but the middle one compensates in terms of atmosphere. I shouldn't miss out 4:50 from Paddington--that's sheer brilliance as well. Among the next best are : The Body in the Library, Nemesis, The Mirror Crack'd, A Pocket Full of Rye, and others. I wouldn't put anything in the third rank! :)
In the midst of all this, I also quickly read Ken Follett's Code to Zero. Of course, he was superbly brilliant in his The Eye of the Needle, so much so that I would have compared him with Forsyth, but then Code to Zero is a huge fall from the position. Sure the action is taut, but I find that the plot is terribly weak sometimes. I ask myself again and again if the US were really so lax in their security measures in the 1958 as he describes. I mean, even the events that Forsyth describe take place in London and/or the UK, but they seem more believable. It course remains that Ken Follett tried a romantic quadrangle in the latter book and not in the Eye of the Needle. Nearly the whole plot in Code to Zero is based on the romantic plot 15 years ago from the time when the story takes place and somehow this makes the plot pretty unsteady, according to my opinion.
Anyway--way too much of this! I must go back to working!

No comments: