Wednesday, September 02, 2015

Eateries and drinkeries III

Since it has been quite a while since I've written anything about food, I'll give it another shot. And this time, maybe I'll list and recommend places based on districts, now that I have quite a feeling of what of Berlin lies where.

 I will start with my favourite district, that of Prenzlauer Berg. There is a rather new German restaurant which has come up there, called Pefferbräu. It is directly opposite the U-bahnhof Senefelderplatz, and on the top of the terrace. A semi modern place, by which I mean a terribly modern place, but has the decors indicating a touch of shabbiness, which seems to be the defining characteristics of the neo-Berlin establishments. They brew their own beer, so it is higly recommended to go for one of those -- if I remember correctly, I had a dark beer from their collection, which is not terribly large. The same is reflected in the food menu, a few food items, but extremely delicious and served in the right amount not to make you overfull. The food here is of the more fancy type, served with grace, rather expensive (prepare 15 euro and above for the main courses) but tastes superb! If I haven't stated already, this is a trendy German restaurant, so go there if you're looking to eat German food in style.

 Another time I was at a Japanese restaurant in the neighbourhood, with (what a co-incidence!), a Japanese friend of mine. The restaurant is called Marubi ramen restaurant, but very surprisingly the people who run it are not Japanese, but rather from Shanghai and other parts in China. So, it was somewhat strange to see my Japanese friend ordering food in English in a Japanese restaurant. Even though this very cheap (the usual dishes cost around 6-8 euros), the quality of the food was quite decent. I mean, not exceptionally good, but good considering what you were paying for it. As it turns out, Kollowitzplatz is one of those gems in Berlin, where you can find restaurants and bars endlessly, and never grow tired of exploring any of it, and never hesitate to go in one, since you know that the food will always be decent.

 The neighborhood also has a whole lot of bars, out of which some are highly recommended. Some of the really cool ones are Scotch and Sofa. There's another one called Cocktailbar 55, which I don't think has a webpage, but has a whole book full of delicious cocktails, again highly recommended. Just walk down the Kollowitzstrasse away from the Scotch and Sofa and you will come across the bar to your left. There is another one in between these two, and in the same side as Cocktailbar 55, but neither Google nor other sources of internet want to reveal it. But then, that is Kollowitzplatz -- literally full of places to eat and drink.

  Not next to it. but not very far either is a Vietnamese place, called Si An that I went to on a Sunday. This blog already says a lot about it, so I will stop giving my own opinions. The food was pretty good, although the waiters a bit brusque, and only a few beers on offer. But you go for the food, that is very recommended.

 Another handful done, so I'll conclude now. More in my next!

 

No comments: