Sunday, April 08, 2012

Sleepless in Seattle

This wasn't exactly a title that I thought would have ever applied to me: but nine hours of jet-lag have made this possible. It worked its black magic on me this whole week, making me get up at the middle of the night all the time!
So, ... Seattle is the first American city I had a chance to witness ever since I went to see the Downtown today. The culture is quintessentially American, with people being jolly and friendly with perfect strangers, waitresses cheerfully calling out over the distance if the food is all right, or if you want something more. It's been quite a pleasure to have been here. Since I don't have anything specific to say, maybe I'll just summarize stuff like a travelogue.
First, the food. Sea food seems to be a specialty of Seattle. Not surprising. In addition, there are numerous places in the University street offering various kinds of food, starting from a very delicious veg buffet to spicy Indian food. While you can get yourself decently fed within $12; things can easily go up to $25 with Indian food, $40 with specialty Sushi or sea-food.
Downtown Seattle was also fascinating. I would never even dream of comparing it with any of the European cities -- Seattle (and indeed probably most American cities) have their own culture, very unique and very distinct from anything the world has ever produced. You will start by noticing people from all the corners of the world, followed by all the kinds of cuisines possible (and indeed, I had the honor of eating piroshky from a Russian bakery shop -- traditionally I think it's called Pirozhki --- which seemed extremely popular with a long queue of people, and drinking coffee from the first Starbucks shop). Then of couse, the usual blend of Indian -- Chinese -- Sushi -- going all the way to Arabian and African. But then that is expected too. And it is America, so there has to huge tall skyscrapers, nobody beats them at it. Skyscrapers have their own charm -- I have lived in Mumbai for 6 years, and am no stranger to them; but of course, they were nowhere like the ones in the US. Their magic worked on me...
And yes, chocolates ... Americans are sometimes strangely innovative, that other people would have never thought of. I have lived for some time now in Switzerland, the land of chocolate, but I have never seen marshmallows dipped in chocolate,  bretzels in chocolate, whole apples dipped in chocolate and with mouth-watering outer chocolate layers. That was really something -- a quick taste of marshmallow coated chocolate and a marzipan dipped in chocolate to break my fast!
The Seattle Art Museum was also nice in its own way, but nothing really striking --- there was a painting of Puget Sound bay that completely swept me off. It was an invitation to the American settlers to come West. And there was another one of Nigara falls aimed at proclaiming the power and the beauty of the newest continent. There was a collection of paintings exploring how remarkable the effects of focusing light on a paining can point out the theme of a painting -- there was a picture of Nurse Irene tending a wounded St Sebastian, and there was another nurse showing light on the wound; and the very act brings out the tenderness of the action of tending a wounded.
I suppose that is it for tonight --- I don't think I can think of anything more to say!

1 comment:

Debasish Banerjee said...

It would really remain incomplete if I did not add the couple of comments, which I wanted to make yesterday, but completely forgot!
First of all, seagulls. Yes seagulls, ... my description of Seattle would remain incomplete unless I mentioned them. Whenever you are out, especially in the University campus, you will hear them. The high, slightly melancholy calls were reminding me of something as I was coming back across the lonely Sunday campus...of quite what, I couldn't recall. Wait, maybe that Poirot novel I saw, the one set at Dover, where the dead body of a man is found in the house of a blind lady by a girl, surrounded by clocks all set to the time of 4:12. But of course, the theme of seagulls have been used so many times in so many contexts.
The other is Mt Rainier. Just as the Alps is to Bern, the part of Rockies are to Seattle. Standing tall and proud is Mt Rainier standing about 4000m, covered white in snow. On a clear sunny day this will definitely set the vista for you. There is even a walk in the university campus, called the Rainier Vista.
Cherry trees blossoming at this time of the year. Something that you will not typically get to see in Europe, but thanks to the gift from Japan to the US, you'll see it in the US quite frequently. A full stretch of cherry trees in the middle of the University campus lifts you from this world, and transports you to a semi-heaven.
And then? the University Village, a quaint little shopping center just off Travelodge, the place where I am staying at. Fully replete with a Microsoft shop, a Mac Store, a local brewery and of course, Starbucks, where you will get a joyous exclamation once you've counted the full $4.11 change for a Grande Frappuchino, not the polite Thank you that you get in Europe. Another cultural difference. A big one.