Monday, July 18, 2011

Post-Thesis period

Hmm -- typing a word here after a rather long time. Was busy writing and submitting my thesis --- which took me quite long by my expectations. And our paper on diffusion, which should have been on the arXiv, a few weeks ago is still not out. I do not think I can stand it if we are scooped again.
It is a rather tense period now, because it is not exactly clear when I will get my degree. The problem arises because unless I get my degree, I cannot apply for my Swiss visa. And once I have submitted my thesis, and come August, I will have to leave my accommodation in TIFR, i.e. the hostel. What a bother!
So what do I do? I have arranged for a visit at the IACS, from beginning of August, till mid-September. The trouble is, in the meanwhile, I might have to come to TIFR again for the defense and visa applications. Really!
And, I am going to be here anyway sometime in the end of September. Add to this, the uncertainty of when to book the ticket and the house where to stay on reaching Bern and you will have some idea of the trouble I am in. The fact that I do not have much savings of my own, and might have to borrow money for this process only makes things worse. And where have my savings gone, you'd ask? In harboring the sin of gluttony, of course!
Anyway, too much of self-depreciation. The other unfortunate thing is that I wanted to write an detailed account of the wonderful trip to Roopkund that we went on in May; but given the lack of time and pressed by the huge burden of things to do, I need to postpone. This increases (exponentially, in my case!) the probability of the important things I had wanted to write about; but it doesn't look like I can help it right now.
Will have to officially say goodbye to the life I had known for the past six years in two more weeks. Can't seem to understand the  gravity of the situation, though! So many things that had become a habit will just go away abruptly. Some of the nice atmosphere I had been exposed to, I will probably never know and feel again. Will I be happy to leave? Not entirely. Some things and some people, I'll really miss. Others, I'll be happy to gloss over.

No comments: